Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Saving the Liberty Bell


We are in the middle of our American Symbols unit. I shared Saving the Liberty Bell with  my kindergarteners today and they were intrigued that it was a true story. (It's a great book to introduce the fact that a nonfiction book doesn't necessarily have to be a book of photographs.) They were also very impressed that a kid could help save an important American symbol. If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it. (I sound like a Reading Rainbow book commercial!) I am so glad that there are many wonderful books about our national symbols that engage children. The books below have my personal recommendation.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great book! Thanks for reminding me about it. I always forget about it because it's in the library, not my class. I just need to buy my own copy!

Renee
Fantastic First Grade Froggies

Linda McCardle said...

I know what you are talking about, if the book is in my room I'm more likely to use it. But, several years ago I started keeping a list of books and ideas for using the book for each unit I do. I indicate whether its a personal copy or a library copy. It has helped me tremendously. But, like you, I still want that personal copy!